Auto (Personal)

Canadian Auto Insurance – Private and Gov. Insurers

In Alberta, Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Ontario, Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, all car insurance is provided by private non-government insurance companies who compete for your business.

In Quebec, Physical Damage and compulsory Third Party Liability coverages are provided by private non-government insurance companies. Basic Bodily Injury coverage is provided by the government-owned Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ), with additional Accident Benefits coverage available from private insurers.

In the following provinces a government-owned insurer provides the basic compulsory coverages. The government and private insurers compete for optional and top-up (“excess,” or additional) coverages.

  • British Columbia: Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC)
  • Saskatchewan: Saskatchewan Government Insurance (SGI)
  • Manitoba: Manitoba Public Insurance (MPI)Facility Association

Top of page

Facility Association

In Canada, every licensed driver has access to insurance. If he or she is considered to be a high-risk driver, insurance may cost considerably more than for an average driver, but it is available… at least to the extent of minimum required limits. Where basic insurance is provided by private insurers, an industry-supported service organization, Facility Association (GAA “Risk Sharing Plan” in Quebec), enables all licensed drivers who require car insurance to obtain it.

Top of page

Insurance Sources

(General – Not necessarily accessible by TCIM)


Contact us for assistance